Tuesday, July 25, 2006

and life goes on...

slowly, quickly, whatever, but it goes on. This has been an interesting time for me this last week and a half. Life is still good, I am still happy, but stuff just keeps on happening. Yesterday I went to a funeral, the man who worked in my office, the one who's dog I used to walk, he had surgery in midJune and he died from complications on Friday. He was one of the nicest men. Always, and he had some crazy issues life through at him, his first tumor at 15, being in a wheelchair for the last 20 years. Bella was his helper dog who opened doors and picked things up and pushed the elevator button. It tends to remind me about how life can be so unfair. such an amazing man with a great family who are now left without him. He was one of those people that made the world a better place just by being alive. At his funeral I couldn't help but think about what I have contributed to the world, and I sadly think to myself, not enough. I was talking to my dad about this about a month ago, I don't really feel like I have done so much and I look at so many friends who have, and my dad reminded me that I am still young, not even a quarter of a century, I am just getting the building blocks set up, but on occasion, I still feel like I should be doing more.
Friday wasn't too good of a day since I also only got one class for uni. All the others were closed because they are undergrad classes and I am a grad student and my time was later than the undergrad registration time. That kinda stresses me out, but I think I will manage. The good news is I got into an ASL class, finally, I am going to learn sign language. And once I do get the classes I need in order to move on to the program I want, I will actually be learning things that I am interested in which is really exciting. Plus, now that I at least know that I didn't get the classes, I feel less in the dark, so still really nervous, but in a more settled way.
I went to a car race on Saturday night. It was suprisingly fun! I wasn't thinking it would be much, but I got into it once the races started. I guess it just gets the competitive nature in me going. They interview a bunch of the guys before hand and they tell you things about the drivers, so they tell you that one of the drivers is a woman and she is also a police officer and one of the drivers is a fourth grade teacher and another is a full time student, etc. and I found myself looking at their numbers and cheering them on, I had favorites and cars I didn't want to win. I never thought it would have been that much fun, but it really was.
Lastly I have a comment to make about ignorance and attacks. I have seen too much of it lately. People who have no idea, and then are so mean to others. I read a piece about the middle east and war that a friend sent me, and the piece was filled with false history and accusations, but spoken as if it was true and how blind could the rest of the world be for not knowing this, the next day I got another email with over genralizations about a group of people that is never accross the board true. Today I read a friends blog and someone posted as anonymous and proceeded to call my friend a bigot and imply my friend's stupidity (which is far from present since this friend is rather smart). I don't know if anonymous knows my friend or just chose to only see what they wanted to see, but they didn't really go about saying they disagreed very nicely. These are just recent times when I have seen people respond like this, I can think of so many more too, and it frustrates me to watch people make asses of themselves. To put yourself out there is always a difficult thing, I understand that, I just wish that people thought about what they said first, maybe did some research, checked these things out. Plus people rarely realize that to attack rarely ever helps the cause. To be so cruel or to not do research or know what you are talking about, that only hurts yourself, your cause, and often others as well. That whole sticks and stones thing... words hurt just as much, it is just harder to see. I wish people would be more respectful, think a little first and know what they are talking about, I think it would make so many of us so much happier.
Anyways, enough of this. Life is good, I am still working every day which is the only place I have internet for now since my home internet is down right now. And now, back to work...

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Lol, yeah, anonymous was a bit blunt in his debating style I felt. Still, he apologised, which is more than most people would do. I have a tendency to write (and talk) bluntly and people get the wrong impression of what I mean easily. That said, I'm not afraid to back it up, or admit that I was wrong.

Good to see you updated your blog, I've been on a blog blip lately but I'll be checking in more often from now on...

Anonymous said...

Bec has delicious theses.