Monday, July 18, 2005
food for thought
I was thinking a bit about this and I figured I would share it with everyone who actually takes the time to read this because it has a bit to do with reading. Basically it has to do with how we affect other people's lives. I was reading one of my friend's blogs and he was talking about writing to people actual letters and a bit of the meaning behind them. He mentioned the fact that he is more cautious with written words than he is when just rambling on a blog or such due to the capability to get what he wants said across and not be misunderstood (sorry if I paraphrased poorly, but I am only using it as a jumping point in case you [the author of the blog] is reading this). While reading his blog I was thinking and agreeing. I have always thought that things that are written down are more permanent. I have always had this strange notion that if I said it, but didn't write it it can be forgotten, which on one hand is true, unless you are being taperecorded, when something is said it goes into the air and no one can prove that you have said it. At the same time what you say has a huge affect on other people. Lately due to a farewell letter from a friend who left Australia before I did to travel and isn't coming back until after I go home on the 22, I have been thinking about the affect that a person can have on another person. I could easily change someone's life with just a single conversation, everything I do has an affect on someone else. Even if it isn't written down and therefore permanent to the world, it is still permanent to whoever heard it and remembers it. Two things I take from this. First, you have to be careful of what you say, because people are listening and it doesn't actually disintegrate into nothingness. Second, one must try and use their influence over others (even if it is unintentional and indirect) to help or better other people's opinions, it is almost a responsibility. Ok, all that was just a thought, you are free to agree and disagree as you choose, it just happened to be on my mind.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment