Saturday, March 26, 2005
a crazy two weeks!
Well, it has been about two weeks almost since I updated everyone, so I do have a lot to say. These two weeks have been pretty massive! The first week was my birthday, so thanks to all who sent their birthday wishes, it was nice to know that people back home were thinking about me on this special day when I turned 21...yahoo! That was a crazy week. I finished all of my school work by Monday so that I could have a party on Tuesday. My friends threw me a party on the Gleeson balcony (one of the dorm buildings with some balconies because it used to be an old house). We had cake in Jessica's room thanks to the Adams sisters valiant effort to find a cake that I would like (silly picky me). In the end they went with the lemon cake, good choice. The celebration continued at the pub on Wednsday night where we recelebrated my 21st as well as celebrating St. Patty's day a day early. That was absolutely insane. On Thursday night (actual St. Patty's day) we went to the Lion and partied there where we all again wore green. Needless to say, I did not get much sleep. Friday night I tossed around a frisbee with some friends and then we had casino night where they set up a "casino" in the JCR (junior common room). We all got dressed up and gambled a bit (I didn't, but mostly everyone else did) and all the money will go to programs for the college (call it a bit of a fundraiser if you will). Sunday I watched the chick's cricket match (I missed the bloke's game bacuase I was in the kitchen). Aquinas beat Flinders in the chick's game, but lost to St. Marks (our rival college) in the bloke's game. I had to leave early to go make a bunch of Latkes for the International food night that we had. It went over very well and though there were a few minor kitchen misshaps, I still managed to make the latkes in time and they were very good. Everyone really liked them a lot. There were a lot of really interesting foods there because there are lots of people with different heritages here (Japanese, Chinese, Lebanese, Ethiopian, just to name a few). Some of the other Americans made crab cakes. I didn't eat them, but I heard they were good. On Tuesday night Matt, Abby and Aaron arrived in Adelaide after visiting Cairns (you can ask them about that, but they said it was amazing). It was great to see some family and I had a great time with them. On Wednsday we went to Victor Harbor (80 kilometers south of Adelaide) and saw the beach and then we drove to an animal reserve type place where we got to see all the exotic Australian animals. My favorite part was definitely feeding the kangaroos, they are so cute! Then Matt, Abby and Aaron joined Aquinas for pub night at the Cathedral (that is the name of the pub that we go to every Wednesday night). They had a great time and I was incredibly happy that they joined me for the three days that they were in Adelaide. They left Friday morning :( but I had a great time with them while they were here. This weekend is Easter weekend which is a big deal here. We had no school on Friday for Good Friday and we have no school on Monday (two extra days off from Uni)!!!! Yesterday I spent the day in Clare at the races (horse races). I didn't bet on any horses, but it was still a lot of fun. We went back to Scoop's (an Aquinas friend, and don't worry, that is just his nickname) house for a barby which was a lot of fun and that is where we spent the night. Not having that much to drink during the day, I (the American who drives on the right rather than the left side of the road) became the designated driver. That is right, I drove here in Australia, how crazy is that, and quite honestly, I thought it was going to be much harder, but it was almost a snap, it just took some extra focus. Basically things are still going great here. I am still making lots of friends (including Jon Preece and Drakey who I promised I would include in my webpage and who were very good to my siblings... and Aaron who is practically a sibling...when they were out here) and having a great time. I am trying to post more pictures but I have been having some issues with the program again, but I will try and get them up as soon as possible. Thank you again for those of you who have sent me your thoughts and wishes. I miss everyone at home (though honestly I cannot say that I am homesick at all). It is lunch time, so here I say Adios Amigos for now!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment