Thursday, July 07, 2005
to whyalla and beyond...
Well, I have officially begun my real travelling. Last time I updated it was my first night in Whyalla and I had done nothing yet. While I was there I stayed with the Mason's, the family of a friend from college. It was actually a very interesting trip. Whyalla is a small city, but nonetheless, big enough that we needed a car to get around (though we did do our fair share of walking as well). It is a industrial city where OneSteel, a steel cmpany in Australia, has their factories. Shannon's dad works there. The city really is covered with red dust like they all said it would be (there are at least 10 or 12 people from Whyalla at college). I went up to the old army bunker on Hummock Hill for a bit of history and a nice view of the city and the factory. I drove by the big boat that is not in water and we parked at the new beach (it would have been too cold to get out). We went to the old beach twice for some pictures and the playground. The second day at the old beach we shared a cup of hot chips (that is french fries for those yanks out there) and the seagulls swarmed around us and might have attacked (I thought I might lose an eye), but we fled to the palyground and watched the one legged seagulls, crazy. That would have been my second bird attack in Whyalla since I got bit by what we thought were tame cocatoos (I know my spelling is horrible). No worries, the bird barely drew blood and I still have my finger. There really isn't much to do at night in Whyalla so we stayed home and played mastermind and chess and read after Mel and Cagney came over to say their goodbyes. We also stopped by Drakey's and Nina's work (both word at their parents store in Whyalla's one mall) to say goodbye before we got back on the bus for a rather uneventful busride back to Adelaide which we finished off with Subway and banana paddle pops (delicious ice cream popsicles). I actually had a lot of fun in Whyalla and it was really nice to spend a few days with a family, especially one as nice as the Mason's who actually made sure to eat vegetarian meals while I was there and made me a really nice goodbye card with a picture of Wulfie (the dog...who had a crush on me...he wouldn't leave me alone AND he stole my hand cream and ate it) on the cover. I spent the night in Adelaide repacking and this morning I woke up early to go on my longest trip yet , I don't get back to Adelaide until the 17! I flew to Alice Springs this morning where I was met at the airport by Emma, a girl from college. I am staying at her hous while I am in Alice Springs. Tomorrow really early I am off for a two day trip through central Australia where I will see Ayers Rock and Kings Canyon. That should be a lot of fun. After that trip I am off again to travel up to Darwin and then Cairns and then back to Adelaide, so I may not have another chance to update for maybe over a week. I am having fun and I am very excited for the rest of my trip. I miss everyone heaps, both everyone at home and everyone who I have already said goodbye to here. A quick thanks to everyone for being so wonderful and so very supportive. Now it is dinnertime and I am starving. I'm out...much love!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment